Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What happened when I tried to read through the Bible...

Two weeks ago, the kids and I had the pleasure of an impromptu trip to San Antonio.  Visiting with my friend Michelle is always a delight, as she is both resourceful and wise.  The fact that she writes an insightful biblical parenting blog is just a bonus!  Happening to take time to visit her blog this afternoon, I literally dropped my To Do List in order to share these points from a post Michelle wrote this week.

The post deals with the difficulty most moms find when they try to read the Bible systematically.  Surely some of us actually make it (right?!), but I was surprised to find Michelle addressing issues I've struggled with since having kids.  Meaning, for the last 11 years of my life.  For example,recently I set my mind on reading through the Bible again, and was really looking forward to it.  But...

...that was at least a year ago.  If not two.  *cough*

I'm almost at the end of Leviticus, so you can see how far I've actually gotten.  Also, our pastor just completed preaching through the Book of John, so I thought I'd add John for edification's sake while courageously plowing through the Pentateuch.  (In case you were wondering, I've made it all the way to chapter 7!)

Below, are the points of "Busy Moms Finding Joy in God's Word".  Please take the time to follow the link and read the post in its entirety - you'll be blessed and encouraged!

  1. Spend the most time on the most profitable portions of Scripture
  2. Save the portions that I don’t understand for later
  3. Delight in what I’m reading, not forgetting that reading systematically is of great value, too.
  4. Start applying what I can, and trust that God will show me the things I don’t understand later.

Personally, I'm going to stop pressuring myself to "perform" when it comes to Bible reading, and begin delighting instead.  How about you?


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad this was encouraging, even if I am far more distractible than you are! Along these lines, I've also been thinking about how my hormonal cycle affects how I read my Bible. I've been working on memorizing a passage with another woman in our church, and I've had to admit I have been actively memorizing about a week out of the month. Maybe that's not a bad thing, though... There is an ebb and flow to our lives even by days. Happy reading, friend!

    ReplyDelete